Sunday, November 3, 2013

Dinner at Minetta Tavern in NYC

After various cancellations (probably 3 or 4), Dan and I finally made it to Minetta Tavern.  I think this is the 4th or possibly 5th Michelin-star rated place I've been to, and I can definitely see why it was rated so well.  The inside decor was very old school NYC-steakhouse ish.  Lots of old photos and caricature photos.  Super crowded when we arrived for an early 5:30pm reservation haha but it filled up so quickly.  It was a nice leisurely dinner though and never felt rushed.  Plus Dan got a pleasant surprise - souffle for two!  Also of note, the black label burger is why we came.  And it was AMAZING.  Not so large but the meat was like butter.  Perfect.  Worth the $26 price tag.
Complimentary bread - hollow inside and deep fried with cheesy taste.  Sort of like a lighter, classier version of the cheddar bay biscuit at Red Lobster hahaha.  I don't know if that's offensive to Minetta Tavern but in my opinion it's a compliment

Roasted Bone Marrow with baguette soliders and shallot confit - I have never had bad bone marrow.  This was great plus the shallot confit was a nice sweet contrast.  Wish we had had more baguette soldiers but put excess bone marrow on the complimentary bread baguette

special salad of the night - Baby kale with persimmons, pine nuts, farro, and matsutake.  Great flavors and very refreshing.  Also got to try some new things - farro and matsutake mushrooms.  A little pricy but a nice light contrast when eaten along side the bone marrow

Pasta Za Za - fresh fettucine with pancetta, sage, pamesan and a fried egg.  I don't care what the foodies say - a fried egg on anything is great and will never be a "fad" to me.  This was very heavy though.  There wasn't really sauce, more like pasta drenched in cheese ha.  I liked it but couldn't eat too much.  The pancetta was great but only a few pieces :(

The Black Label Burger - why we came!  prime dry-aged beef with caramelized onions and pommes frites.  I ordered it Medium and the chef obviously Bourdain-ed me and cooked it medium rare.  Everyone who ordered it apparently got it medium rare.  Still, as I said, it melted in my mouth. And it was just the burger and brioche.  No ketchup or anything on it.  That's the sign of a truly awesome burger.

Grand Marnier souffle!  I realize I've probably only had souffle once or twice in my life.  Obvi not that great before b/c I can't really remember, but this was excellent.  So light and just the right amount of sweetness.

after we broke into it

No comments:

Post a Comment