Thursday, December 20, 2012

Dinner at ME Casa in Jersey City, NJ

Dan and I tried a new Puerto Rican restaurant in the neighborhood - ME Casa.  So I don't really understand why it's called "ME" Casa vs. Mi Casa.  To tell the truth HP is a little perturbed by this grammatical anomaly.  But anyway, I digress.  All of the food here was AMAZING, and though I'm definitely no expert in Puerto Rican cuisine, everything seemed authentic and better than other similar restaurants in the area.  Also since it's new, the chef Eddie really goes out of his way to welcome you and have you try new things.  He came out to us and talked to us shortly after we got seated.  I should note at that time we were the only ones eating there haha, but he also did that when others came in later.  He talked to us and let us know how things had been going since they opened a few months ago.  Since we were first time customers he gave us a free appetizer - shrimp ceviche.  The ceviche was by far the freshest and most balanced that either Dan or I had ever eaten.  Plus he was certainly not sting-ay with the amount of shrimp.  Unfortunately that addition kind of put us over the time in terms of our order.  We had wayyyy too much food and I had leftovers.  But I can't really complain because everything from the garlic buttered bread to our entrees was DELISH.  Eddie also said if we "liked" the restaurant on facebook or emailed him, he would send us an invite to a special event with free desserts only for customers who had been there before.  So even if you haven't gone I think you should like it on facebook so you get this exclusive invite.  Apparently during the few weeks that he had desserts, he sold out almost immediately.  He showed us the menu - there were things like coconut flan and tres leches.  The rest I can't remember b/c I was already wanting to try those haha.  Anyway, enjoy the pics!
Complimentary garlic bread with butter.  SO GOOD.  The bread was perfectly crisp and crunchy and every morsel enveloped in butter.  But not greasy.  I could've just eaten that and been happy.


Shrimp Ceviche .  BEST.  EVER.

Mini Mofongos!  We got the trio - (L to R) beef, shrimp, chicken.  The beef was definitely my favorite.  I think because the garlic flavor was the most potent.  I could have eaten this whole appetizer plate as my entree.  A big fan of mofongo now.

Pollo Asado - delicious and the skin was so crisp.  Also loved this green salsa.  Had a great kick but not too spicy.

Giant plate of Pernil Asado - traditional marinated roast pork.  Dan loved this.  I have to say I was less impressed with this.  But that's because both my dad and I make this.  And ours are better.  I may be biased about mine.  So his is def better haha.  However, a solid attempt.

Arroz Blanco con Habichuelas Guisada - White rice with beans stew.  Great accompaniment. 

Arroz con Gandules - yellow rice with pigeon peas.  Good but a little dry.

No comments:

Post a Comment