Sunday, October 28, 2012

Dinner at Skinner's Loft in Jersey City, NJ

Dan and I went to Skinner's Loft one time for happy hour like over a year ago.  This time we decided to go to dinner after I was stalking the menu and saw some excellent reviews on their filet mignon sliders and Lobster BLT.  Spoiler alert: both lived up to their wonderful reviews ha.  Though I do have some critique.  Overall the meal was delicious and the place was really beautiful upstairs (not the bar area, which is nice but looks a little stuffy).  Kind of felt underdressed in my yoga pants, b/c the upstairs had chandeliers and lots of glass and nice artwork.  They weren't snooty or judgy though, and we saw a guy that looked like Andrew Zimmerman's doppelganger!  Definitely recommend this place if people want a nice, classy dinner.

Bread in a fun tin - So many diff kinds inside.  All delicious and came with both butter and olive oil.

Shrimp and Crab tostadita with corn and avocado salsa.  Very nice and light with great crab taste.  The shrimp was pretty hidden though.

Fried calamari with marinara sauce and jalapeno-citrus aioli.  This was a HUGE plate; I already got full after eating it ha.  The aioli was awesome as was the marinara.  Probably better shared among 3-4 people.

Filet mignon sliders with shoestring fries.  It's hard to see but there were 3 sliders under that mass of potato. The sliders had mushrooms on it and were smeared with garlic butter, which was a big selling point for me.  It was delicious and the meat amazingly tender, but there was SO much garlic butter that the brioche became soggy and almost impossible to eat. In fact half-way through my second slider I just removed the bread and just ate the meat and shrooms.  Now I LOVE garlic and like butter, but it was just too much.  Next time I come I'm gonna say garlic butter light or even on the side if I can get away with that.

Lobster BLT. w/shoestring fries.  Delicious and not too mayo-y (I hate mayo).  Also I didn't mention this above, but I had been really excited about these shoestring fries but as other reviews mentioned, they are SO thin it's like you're not eating anything.  We tried eating with a fork but it wasn't much better.  You need to grab like 4-5 at once before you feel like you're actually eating something.

Close-up of the slider

Flan with toasted coconut.  YUM YUM YUM.  Delicious flan and I loved the grittiness of the coconut.  Smart addition.




No comments:

Post a Comment