Sunday, August 4, 2013

Dinner at New Thanh Hoai in Jersey City, NJ

Dan and I were pretty upset when our favorite Vietnamese place in Jersey City shut down and moved towards Hamilton Park.  We read on Yelp that there was only street parking and the prices were up but service down.  Imagine my surprise one night after several nights of craving pho when we realized that they had a giant parking lot probably double the size of the old place.  The service had changed - it was 10x better!  People took our orders right away, gave us large glasses of water and REFILLED IT without request, and brought the food quickly.  The prices might have gone up but no more than $1/dish, and the menu was more expansive.  The waiters changed for sure; they're all Asian now.  They're not super friendly but they are efficient.  The food tasted as good as I remembered and they had new stuff as I mentioned, including lemongrass squid, which we tried.  I was excited that it was grilled but it didn't taste like Filipino squid.  Still, a nice change from just deep frying.  Excited that they are back better than before!

Lemongrass grilled squid - tasty but a little overcooked

my usual pho with grilled pork chops.  How I missed this!

No comments:

Post a Comment