Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Dinner at Havana Alma de Cuba in NYC

I went for Cuban with Karem around Christopher St.  The food was all well seasoned and delicious, albeit a little pricey.  I don't think I would say this is the best Cuban meal I've ever had, considering JC has some great cheap places.  But a worthy competitor.
Tostones rellenos - crispy green plantains, shrimp fricasse stuffing.  Well seasoned and a great mix of the soft shrimp inside the cirsp plantains 

Fufu con camarones - crispy green plantains mashed with garlic shrimp and garlic sauce.  It reminded me of mofongo.  This needed some seasoning

Rabo Encendido - oxtail, piquillo pepper, tomato, red wine sauce and rice and beans.  Karem got this and I tried a little meat.  The meat was so tender and the sauce was great as well

Ropa Vieja "La Bodeguita" - shredded skirt steak braised in tomato salsa criolla, rice and beans.  This was excellent.  The meat was so flavorful and juicy. I loved the plantain bowl it came in as well.  It was dark in the restaurant though so I didn't realize how many onions were mixed in with the meat

Tres Leches de Pina - pineapple sponge cake, layered with meringue and fresh whipped cream.  I didn't realize there was pineapple in here :( I'm not into fruit in my dessert, so I didn't love this

Churros con chocolate - the chocolate sauce was on point!  Usually people have more of a hot cocoa chocolate, which is wrong.  But the churros themselves were too thick for me, very doughy, and not crispy enough

No comments:

Post a Comment