Thursday, January 3, 2013

Dinner at Ramen Setagaya in NYC

I really felt like ramen but didn't want to wait at Ippudo, so Karem and I instead went to Ramen Setagaya on St. Mark's Place.  The place is pretty small with fast turn-over, and stools instead of backed seats.  However, very cheap and the wait stuff is patient and doesn't rush you.  I'm def no ramen expert but I thought my spicy miso ramen was delicious and second-best ramen I've had after what we ate in Hawaii.  Now if only someone could tell me where to find Hawaiian-style ramen in the NY metro area...

Vegetable Gyoza - nothing special and lacked real flavor.  Also too greasy. 

Spicy miso ramen - LOVED THIS.  Nice broth that gradually built up in spice.  Included bamboo shoots, corn, pork, bean sprouts, and half-boiled egg.  A very hearty portion as well.  I started getting full and feeling the spice before I finished.

Tsukemen - cold noodle with dipping sauce made of grilled pork, bamboo shoots, scallop, seaweed, and scallion.  Karem didn't want hot soup but then later regretted it since the sauce was hot anyway but the noodles cold/lukewarm ha.  Plus I don't think the "sauce" was as flavorful.  She used some of my broth to liven it up.
Vanilla mochi ice cream.  LOVED IT.  A perfect end.


Nice smooth and sweet sake that I ordered while waiting.  I really enjoyed it with my soup.

No comments:

Post a Comment