Thursday, June 11, 2015

Brunch at the Mark in NYC

Went to the Mark on the Upper East Side - another Jean Georges restaurant, this time on a the Mark hotel.  The food, like at Nougatine, had a fresh quality with some creative spins.  A little pricy of course, and not huge portions.  But still a nice meal with excellent service and beautiful modern ambiance.  I think my experience at Nougatine was little better, but partially because here I was on a time crunch.
Black truffle pizza with fontina cheese on gluten free crust.  I enjoyed this but wished there had more cheese flavor than truffle

Char grilled octopus with potato aioli, celery hearts, oil cured olives.  The octopus was well cooked - flavorful yet tender.  Didn't love all the accompaniments 
Crispy sushi - salmon, tuna, scallop hamachi and tuna.  After just having gone to Sushi Nakazawa, of course I was biased.  Interesting idea deep frying the rice, but there's something about having the normal white sushi rice that I missed.  (also the rice there was amazing).  I also found it confusing to eat lukewarm/cold fish on top of very hot rice, which tasted like toast.  It almost felt wrong to me

Peekytoe crab cake with pink grapefruit, avocado and ginger.  Good but not particularly memorable

Russ and Daughters smoked salmon pizza on "everything" crust. I was psyched to try this because of the combo of R&D salmon and everything crust..  It did not disappoint.  I loved the crust!  I only wished there had been even more salmon because the crust was somewhat think.  Can't tell what the green sauce was though

Sweet pea soup with sourdough croutons and parmesan. Same as at Nougatine and just as good


No comments:

Post a Comment