Thursday, June 11, 2015

Dinner at Sushi Nakazawa in NYCSor

I took Dan to Sushi Nakazawa for his birthday.  The owner is one of the apprentices featured in the Netflix documentary "Jiro Dreams of Sushi."  This meal was unreal.  I seriously think it was the best meal I've had in this country.  Definitely the most expensive lol.  But honestly, while it seemed like a piece of fish on rice wouldn't be that mindblowing, it was.  It started out as one thing, then would change mid chew.  It was CRAZY.  Obviously everything tasted super fresh.  We also opted for the sake flight, which was like 7 or 8 different sakes that paired perfectly with our pieces.  We had the omakase menu, which consisted of 20 different dishes, plus ordered two pieces a la carte at the end.  The bar seating is $30 more expensive, so we opted to sit in the dining room, which was probably better because we could talk.  However, we arrived early and got to watch Nakazawa and his chefs and it was magical.  I will now forever compare every other sushi experience to this place.
Ivory King Salmon and Copper River Salmon

Horse mackerel, mackerel, yellowtail, and scallop

Can't remember top left.  Top right was prawn. Bottom was sennet and bonito.  

I think top was perch and  bonito?   Bottom three was trio of tuna, with fattiest on the left.  Omg the fatty tuna was like butter.  So delicious.

Hand roll of choice - fatty tuna obvi

Trout roe and Uni - my first uni experience.  So creamy.  I actually loved it
A la carte order of wagyu beef.  Like meat butter. Unreal

A la carte order of red snapper.  Dan called it "f-ing delicious"

Grand finale - egg custard famous from the documentary, and sea eel, my usual fav at regular sushi places.  The egg custard was perfect.  It had a sponge like texture at first with just the right amount of sweetness

Green tea

Yuzu flavor sorbet.  Great way to cleanse.  Despite the many pieces I felt comfortably full.
Bottom line - if you want a fancy meal and feel like splurging, go here!  Even if you are not a total sushi lover (I like it, but it's not usually one of my top meal go-tos), you will be after this meal.  Incredible.


No comments:

Post a Comment