Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Dinner at Arzak in San Sebastian, Spain

Dan and I had out first three-Michelin-star meal at Arzak in San Sebastian.  We didn't know what to expect, but it ended up being a delicious, somewhat confusing, intellectually challenging meal.  We also got to meet the chef Juan Mari, and he talked to us for a few minutes.  The dishes didn't seem obviously Spanish to me, but rather extremely modern/artsy.  I enjoyed the meal, and was super full after 17 or so courses.  I don't think I really love modern food because it seems more about the presentation and technique rather than simple taste.  Sometimes I just had such trouble figuring out what I was eating that I couldn't truly enjoy it.  Definitely an experience.

I think top was gyoza with prawn; bottom scorpion fish pudding?

Black pudding and beer

Lentil cookie with ssamjang

Anchovy with marinated strawberry.  Def not a combo I would think to pair together

Beet root blood apple - apple injected with beetroot accompanied by creamy foie gras and potato "mother of pearl"

again, unsure

Crazy looking dish. Lobster with fresh beer pollen with blue honeycomb. Served over an ipad.  Of course

Warm oysters served over real sea salt with veggies and acidic paste. It took a few secs to realize I couldn't eat the rock of salt haha

Red Space Egg - "red egg" cooked at 65 degrees Celcius, red peppers, cereal ferments, and crispy pig trotters. A work of art

Monkfish with rhubarb and lillies

Cannot recall :/

Pigeon with guitar shavings - possibly my fav of all the dishes.  The pigeon was so tender with no gaminess


Lamb with lotus root, quinoa and its juices

Close up of lotus root

Big Truffle - large cocoa and sugar truffle with a creamy chocolate and carob filling.  Originally was 5x the size/height but the waitress poured hot chocolate over it

Black lemon.  Too sweet for me

Quartet of ice cream.  Couldn't tell what they all were but tasty

Cool chocolate pieces that looked like tools. Again, very artsy

No comments:

Post a Comment