Sunday, July 22, 2018

Dinner at Sakagura in NYC

I took Dan to Sakagura for his birthday.  I have been wanting to go there for a long time.  It's a typical Japanese izakaya that's kind of hidden in the basement of an office building. Izakaya meaning the food was tapas style.  I had to yelp it to figure out how to walk.  It was a kind of expensive meal but so good and one of the few places in the city where you can get fish collar.  I have no idea why all places don't have it, because fish collar is so meaty and delicious, but I guess I'm happy to at least know where we can get it.  We got two kinds, because why not.  Everything else was wonderful as well.  I wish I knew more about sake so I could get to try more and learn but alas, Dan had whisky and I just got one flight.  A wonderful dinner and I would definitely go back, especially with more people so we can try even more food.
Specials that day

My sake flight

Maguro tartar - Chopped Tuna Tartar topped with Tobiko Roe steeped in Yuzu.  So fresh and the tuna was delicious.

Beautiful to look ate.  Liked having two kinds of roe.  We used the cucumber like little chips

Uzaku - Eel, Thin Cucumber Slices and Wakame Seaweed in Vinaigrette Sauce
Wish that they had more eel meat because it was sooo good

Salmon Kama Shioyaki - grilled salmon collar

My absolute fav.  So meaty with great char and the right amount of fat

Surumeika Zukeyaki - Grilled Squid brushed with Soy Sauce.  Good but compared to everything, just avergae

Snow Peach - Kamoizumi nigori sake, Momo no sake, Ginger Ale
Yaki Sanma Onigiri - Rice Seasoned and Cooked with Various Vegetables Wrapped with Grilled Pike Mackerel .  Super fishy but in the est way

Tori Karaage - Deep Fried Chicken Thigh marinated in Sake and Ginger Infused Soy Sauce .  Can't go wrong with fried chicken

Madai Kama Shioyaki - grilled red snapper collar imported from Japan.  Loved this as well.  Dan liked this more than the salmon collar

Black Sesame Creme Brulee served with black sesame ice cream

This dessert was incredible.  The creme brulee itself was perfect texture and so unique with the black sesame flavor.  The black sesame ice cream was great, and the crispy chip on top added wonderful texture

No comments:

Post a Comment