Sunday, October 2, 2016

Dinner at Poi by the Pound in Kahului, Maui, HI

Nancy, Joe, Dan and I finally made to Poi by the Pound for some local food.  I think this was definitely one of my top meals in Maui, probably best local food (excluding the breakfast at 808 Grindz) that we had.  Each couple shared one of the combo plates (Hawaiian plate), which was a perfect amount of food and also made things even cheaper.  Great spot and am already missing their kahlua pork.
We also got sides of squid lu'au and beef lu'au.  Both were in a thick sauce, the squid more coconut-y.  I liked both but the squid was a bit sweet so I couldn't have imagined eating a large portion.  The beef was excellent though

Hawaiian plate consisting of mac salad, kahlua pork, lau lau (pork in taro leaves steamed) and white rice

Plate also comes with chicken long rice, lomi salmon, poke and of course poi, which is front and center.  I actually enjoyed the poi!  It was smooth and silky, not like glue/paste consistencies I've had before.  It worked as a nice accompaniment when I put on the meat or rice

Excellent lau lau.  Big chunks of pork

No comments:

Post a Comment