Monday, May 26, 2014

Lunch at Howie's Restaurant in Edinburgh, UK

This post will be my first from my trip to Edinburgh with the parents.  This restaurant which my dad picked out had a great lunch deal of 2 courses for under 10 pounds.  Super good deal and we got to try a lot of authentic Scottish dishes.  The restaurant was walking distance from our hotel and seemed to have a mix of both locals and tourists.  Great way to start off the trip.
Bread and butter
The beginning of my love affair for Thistly Cross Cider - this was the traditional flavor.  I don't really know what that means since there's an original flavor, but delicous and smooth and fruity.

Appetizer portion of traditional haggis, neeps, and tatties.  Haggis seems to be some kind of meat innard blends.  Neeps are mashed turnips and tatties are mashed potatoes.  I actually enjoy the haggis a lot despite not knowing what it was.

Traditional Cullen Skink - smoked fish, leeks, potatoes and cream chowder with Artisan bread

Pan Fried Wood Pigeon Breast with buckwheat & beetroot pancake and a juniper jus -  I really wanted to like this but the meat was so tough and gamy.  The pancake also kind of had no taste, so couldn't even counter the strong unfriendly taste of the meat.  At least I can say I've tried pigeon now haha

Scottish Salmon Fillet served with sunblush tomato rosti and a garden pea & mint velouté - my dad got this and it was very well cooked
A special of the day - cod with capers and lemon sauce.  Very well cooked again.  The fish just melted in your mouth

Grilled Mackerel Fillet with roast potatoes, bacon, wilted spinach, sauce gribiche - the fish was delicious but the potatoes in bacon etc. were even better

Better view of my meal.  The potatoes and spinach were sinfully bacon-y

Black Cherry and Chocolate Bread and Butter Pudding with organ scented Creme Anglaise - now i don't generally like fruit in my desserts but this was pretty amazing, esp. due to the creme anglaise.  I was already full but had a few bites and tasted almost custard-like with a great mix of chocolate and light fruitiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment