Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Brunch at Maharlika in NYC

We tried to go to Krystal's Cafe 81 in NYC and it was CLOSED.  So tragic!  Fortunately Maharlika was right nearby and they were still serving brunch food.  I still don't understand why some places are cash-only, but this is one of them.  The food overall was tasty but not as authentic as I've had compared with my parents' cooking or relatives back in the Philippines.  Also the food was pretty expensive considering what we were eating.  Pros - the fun t-shirts worn by the staff (i.e. Our white bartender's t-shirt said "My ex is filipino, some waitress's shirt said, "My best friend is filipino, etc.) and that they had San Miguel Light beer.  The menu is a little more whimsical than traditional but they could still work on some of the basics.

Sam Miguel Light - breakfast of champions

Chicken n Ube Waffle - Creativity-wise this was a brilliant idea.  Filipino fried chicken over a waffle made of ube with macapuno jam and anchovy bagoong garlic chive compound butter.  Dan said the waffle was the best thing he ate there.  Never having had an ube waffle prior to this date, I would say it was pretty good.  The chicken was okay. Max's/Jollibee's are both better, and of course pales in comparison to my Dad's

Tapsilog - Beef tapa, garlic fried rice, and fried egg.  I was pretty disappointed by the tapa.  It was very tasty, don't get my wrong, but NOT filipino tasting. It tasted like the steak that I get at Beechwood in Jersey City.  Sweet but nothing special.  Did not have the appropriate tapa texture (ie. almost like jerky).

No comments:

Post a Comment