Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Dinner at Social Eatz in NYC pt. II

Triple Date at Social Eatz as a break from the awfulness that is Bar Exam Prep.  Seriously - the worst thing I have EVER experienced.  Apparently within the past few months Angelo updated the menu at Social Eatz; to my surprise, my favorite thing to order on the menu (Kung Pow Wow sandwich had disappeared).  This actually was fortuitous because it forced me to try something else on the menu - a different kind of chicken that was good but still left me missing the peanut-y goodness of the former sammie.  However, I think everyone really enjoyed their food, and I will still count Social Eatz as one of my favorite places to eat

Korean Fried Chicken - with kecap-manis peppecorn sauce and kimchi pickles.  I LOVED the pickles because they were more sweet and not actually like pickles.  The chicken was tasty but the portion was so huge that I actually left some even after sharing with Dan.  I don't think this was double-fried a la Bon Chon, and the sauce was a little too much after awhile.  I'm glad I tried it but considering I also got the ribs, I had an awful lot of sweet meat with not much to balance.

Cured Tuna "Pastrami" with toasted rye bread and home-made mustard.  Dan LOVED this.  The tuna was sliced thin and with the typical rubbings on pastrami.  The whole thing was both creative and confusing (in a good way).

Lobster roll with kimchi pickles and togarashi/kimchi fries - Dan's entree.  The roll was very tasty, a little acidic and not so mayo-y.  The fries were EXCELLENT. Super thin and crisp with a slight kick.  Not sure if these were the togarashi or kimchi fries.  If the latter, flavor-wise not as good as Kraverie's kimchi fries (mostly b/c lacking cheese and also b/c not as obvious kimchi-ness) but cooked much better

Social Burger and fries - Karthik ordered this and upgraded with bacon, avocado and cheese.  He seemed to enjoy it though I don't think there was any Asian-inspiredness to the dish

Bibimbap Burger with kimchi pickles and fries - Michael's order.  This is the famous, award-winning burger with kimchi pickles and a slow cooked egg. Michael seemed to enjoy this as well, and how could you not with a fried egg on it and various pickled veggies

Smoked Duroc Ribs appetizer- SO GOOD.  Meat falls right off the bone and the sauce is perfectly sweet and tangy.  Also funny how they've moved on to using "Asian"-style plates ha

Steak special - Jess ordered this.  Seemed to really like it a swell, despite having to settle for medium rare vs. just rare :)



No comments:

Post a Comment