Wednesday, December 29, 2021

Dinner at Abaca in San Francisco, CA

 After quite a bit of effort and multiple reservations made and cancelled, we ended up having a friends dinner at Restaurant Abaca, a new Filipino spot in SF that I think literally opened that same week.  I have very mixed feelings about expensive Filipino spots, because on the one hand, I see no reason why our food shouldn't be elevated and people spend a lot of money and view as good as other cuisines.  But on the other hand, as in this case, I don't think as tasty as some cheaper, more home-style food.  But I'm glad we got to experience it, and if it takes something more expensive/fancy for people to get into this style of food, that's still a net positive.  I can see it being scary for people who have never had filipino food to go a turo-turo style space and not know what anything is besides Pork or something in sauce lol.  The meal was good but expensive, but we had a great time and I'm glad friends got to eat this food.

Beautiful and delicious drinks

Organic Hodo Soy Yuba Skin with adobo glaze - vegan take on chicharron.  Surprising but very good

Longganisa Pork Sausage with egg yolk, puffed rice and cane vinegar.  Thin Cut Pork BBQ with coppa, banana sauce and atchara.  The sausage was great but I know hard for people to get into because it's surprisingly sweet.  The BBQ was just ehhh.  Sorry I've had sooo much better pork bbq in my life  feel spoiled saying it but this wasn't memorable and $11 for two small sticks

Squash Okoy Fritter - kabocha, black garlic, pinakurat vinegar and herbs.  Also wonderful.  I think now that I'm looking back, the veggie dishes outshone the meaty ones

Pork Steamed Buns - bacon tocino, marinated black garlic and pineapple kimchi.  Definitely different for Filipino food but excelle.t Probably the best thing we ate?

Sisig Fried Rice  - chicharron, poached egg, pickled onion.  Good but not great.  Honestly don't remember this too much except thinking it was plated beautifully but sisig should be sizzling hot when it comes out.  Don't remember much crunchiness either

Tinutungan Palayok - rice, toasted grains, smoked coconut.  Reminded me of this brown rice/quinoa thing my parents get at Costco.  Didn't have much flavor and $11.  Give me plain jasmine rice any day

Squid Relleno - chorizo, melon with calamansi aioli.  I think this was too ambitious.  The chorizo inside was a lot and kind of smushed?  The squid was a bit tough.  I think they should have made it traditionally - chopped up, bite-sized pieces in the inky sauce.  But that's just me

Lola's Pork Lumpia with apple ketchup, bib lettuce, herbs and fermented mango.  I think they were trying to elevate this and make it like Vietnamese spring rolls which you eat in lettuce wraps.  However, my own lumpia is superior so I was both biased and disappointed


No comments:

Post a Comment