Friday, April 25, 2014

Lunch at Larb Ubol in NYC

My mom and I went to Larb Ubol in Hell's Kitchen for a quick, tasty, and inexpensive Thai lunch.  I've wanted to go to this place for awhile after seeing a different place out-of-state on DDD that showcased larb - a Thai dish with ground meat, some herbs, and either cabbage or lettuce wrap.  The lunch special of an entree plus either papaya salad, chicken larb, or soda gave me a great way to try larb but also got the entree of my choosing.  I ordered a dish with chinese broccoli and crispy pork over rice.  It was actually pretty spicy, but very tasty and manageable to eat.  Lots of flavor in the pork, and crispy like lechon.  The chinese broccoli made me feel less bad about eating fried pork for lunch haha.  My mom ordered a dish with steamed chicken, ginger, rice, and sweet chili sauce.  I think she enjoyed it.  It looked healthy but still appetizing, so a winner in my book.

Kao Mun Kai - steamed chicken with ginger rice, Thai herbs and ginger sauce.  Only $8

Complimentary chicken larb.  Honestly I wasn't that impressed by this.  Some ground chicken in lettuce.  Perhaps some of the entrees of larb have more flavor than this?  But this reminded me a little of why I didn't like ground meat as a child because it looks so unappetizing

Kana Moo Krob Over Rice - Stir-fried Chinese broccoli and crispy pork over rice.  You can see some pepper on the pork; there was def some heat.  The veggies were a nice counter-balance though, and the portion was perfect for lunch.  Not too much to feel gross, but enough to be full.  Also only $9.

No comments:

Post a Comment