Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Lunch at Mile End Deli in NYC

So back to that second lunch.  Because we felt like we could eat more and we wanted to go some place where we didn't need a reservation (as it was prime lunch/brunch time), we ended up going to Mile End.  I've wanted to go for a long time because they have poutine and smoked meat a la Montreal, but you can't make a reservation so I haven't gotten around to it.  Fortunately we had no wait although there were definitely others eating there.  The poutine was f-ing AMAZING.  Best poutine I've had since I went to Montreal my freshman year in college.  The last two times I went to Montreal I was dissapoutined.  #SorryImNotSorry.  Figures the best poutine I have is in NYC.  The smoked meat was good but for me a little too pepper-y, or there were some spices that didn't make me love it as much as Katz's.  Katz's rules all.

Smoked Meat Poutine - fries, cheese curds, brisket, gravy.  First of all, this was so rich that I easily could have just eaten this.  Second, it was so good I didn't want to not be eating this.  The fries were perfectly crispy, the smoked meat was peppery and thick, the gravy was delish and the CURDS!  THE CURDS!  So many places in NY/NJ that claim to have cheese curds lie to me, but these were the real deal.  I think actually the meat detracted a tiny bit from the awesomeness of the curds and gravy.  Next time I will just try the classic poutine because it is that good on its own.

Classic Breakfast - two eggs scrambled, potato latkes with sour cream and applesauce, and smoked meat.  I unfortunately didn't take great shots of the potato pancakes, but there were two underneath the eggs.  They were f-ing ginormous.  Probably the size of a 8 or 9" diameter plate.  Like bigger than my face.

You can have a little better sense of the largeness of the potato pancakes.  We pretty much demolished the poutine but took home the leftover potato pancakes and smoked meat for next day's breakfast.  Didn't take the eggs because not the most appetizing to reheat.  Still, this whole plate was only $13.  Definitely worth it.  I want to come back and try their bialys as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment