Saturday, December 5, 2020

Lunch from Carlitos Barbecue Taqueria in Lyndhurst, NJ

I'm finally up to date, and in fact, blogging the same day (within the hour) of eating.  Maybe one of my New Year's resolutions will be to try to blog in a timely fashion.  Within at least a month so no delays longer.  Maybe I'll even try shorter like two weeks, but we'll see.  I guess now that we're still at home, we're mostly cooking, and a lot of repeat dishes, so there's less posts, so I should be able to manage at least the month time frame.

Because I've ordered online from Carlitos, I'm on their mailing list.  I also follow them on Instagram, so am very up to date on their specials.  Today they emailed about their new Birria tacos.  They described as such:

"It is a tender combination of beef cuts (shank, brisket and chuck round) marinated and braised in a complex adobo. Comes with 2 oz (per taco) of rich slightly spicy, sweet and sour melted butter-like textured consome for your taco dipping pleasure . Our nixtamal tortillas are then dipped in the flavorful beef fat and warmed on a griddle until crisp and pliable. This might be the juiciest taco you’ve ever had, facts."

Obviously we had to try them.  So we each got these, plus brisket (my fav) and Dan got a carne asada.  Also had to get a side of sweet plantains, and churros.  Everything was amazing, and I am SO full right now I cannot move.  It's honestly a little dangerous having this so close.

The Birria Tacos were just as described.  So wet and juicy (sorry) and the meat had excellent smokiness.  It also came with a rather large side of extra juice (double sorry), which Dan proceeded to pour on or dip his other tacos in haha

Side of sweet plantains

Two brisket tacos + carne asada

Chocolate churros.  I was so full from eating I had to wait awhile to eat mine

Everything we ordered.  Side of juice on bottom right. For only one taco did Dan get the fixings on the side (pico de gallo, pickled onions, red and green sauce).  I love how they put stuff on the side rather than me having to write "no onions please" on the notes, which places get right about half the time.  I do wish we had gotten more green sauce.  It's more avocado forward than pepper, which I love.  Because otherwise, I'm just eating huge chunks of meat on a tortilla, which I'm happy to do, but nice to have that additional texture and juiciness with a sauce


No comments:

Post a Comment